Thursday, July 01, 2004

A New Moon

I am going camping tomorrow! My boss recommended me a nice place and he even lent me his binoculars today. Great! I could use them to look at moon and the stars!

It was full moon tonight. The moon was so big and round and yellow and bright that it looked a little bit strange to me. It was like it was not real. It was like it had been pulled closer to the earth by Jim Carrey in the "Bruce Almighty" movie. This kind of thought gave me creeps.

Anyway, it was perfect time to try my boss's binoculars. I went to the parking lot and pointed them at the moon, for the first time of my life. WOW! The face of the moon suddenly became so clear to me. The dark spots were no longer just "the rabbit in the moon" or more scientific but equally vague "craters on the moon", but real things, with definite shapes and clear borders. I could even see the fine textures of the bright parts. I never saw the moon like this before. A new moon to me. It reminded me of the first day I bought and put on my glasses after being nearsighted for about 5 years or so and suddently I found I couldn't recognize my friends because their faces were so clear that they looked different from what I thought they looked like.

When I was standing on the parking lot, mind-blown by my new-found moon, a car with several young guys and loud music drove slowly in front of me. They looked at me with some curiosity and one of them asked:"You OK, man?"

Of course I was ok! I was just being a regular dork.


The moon map:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home