Wednesday, June 02, 2004

William Manchester

Sad to hear that William Manchester died yesterday.

William Manchester was known to many Chinese readers as "the author of The Glory and the Dream: A Narrative History of America, 1932-1972", a book that educated, transformed and inspired many people.

It was published in 1978 in China. I was 3 that year, so I missed the cyclones it created throughout the Chinese intellectual society. It was republished once in 1988. I was 13, still too young. After that, it seemed to disappear from people's sight.

Gone, but not forgotten. 25 years later, in 2003, it has become one of the most requested and talked-about books in major Chinese book-related online forums. People were telling stories about this book, about how excited people felt when reading it, about how people finished all 4 volumes in one night, and about how hard it was to find a copy in a used bookstore and how high the price was if you were lucky enough to find one.

Finally, in May, 2004, it was republished, this time in two volumes. Sina.com, a portal site of China, put it online. I read it and, just like other people's reactions, got so excited that I wanted own one copy. So I tried to buy a set through an online Chinese bookstore that ships books to North America, but before I could place my order, it was sold out.

Mr. Manchester, thank you. And may you rest in peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home