Tuesday, August 10, 2004

What's His Name?

I was at lunch with a bunch of chatting girls. Their topics switched rapidly from abnormally cool weather to, naturelly, gossips.

Nancy: "So Hong in my lab said..."
Farhana: "Hong? Isn't his name Kong?"
Veronika: "Oh, yeah. I am always confused. It seems all the Chinese call him Kong, but he lets us call him Hong."

They paused their discussion, and all turned their heads to me.

I decided to grasp this rare opportunity to give them a Chinese lesson. So I cleared my throat and lectured:

"Kong speaks Cantonese, OK? And in Cantonese, his name is Hong. But we speak Mandarin. And in Mandarin, his name is Kong."

Veronika, still confused, asked:"But what should we call him then?"

Me:"Hong Kong."

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that I enjoy reading your blog. Greets from Finland and uhm... keep up the good work?

Henri
http://www.iki.fi/coax/

5:21 AM  
Blogger Lei said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Lei said...

Thank you sooo much! This means a lot to me!

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just passing by... this one is funny :-) I know just too well the confusion between Cantonese and Mandarin.

BTW, your English is fabulous :-)

11:34 PM  
Blogger Lei said...

Anonymous:
Thank you!
So you speaks both Cantonese and Mandarin, I guess?

1:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup :-) I am Cantonese by birth but can speak Mandarin like a pro (aka, without any Cantonese accent). Hoho...

Keep up the good work!

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home