Thursday, June 17, 2004

What's Gmail?

The other day I was chatting with a friend, H, on MSN Messenger. He was my college classmate, so he started as a potential biologist, but switched to computer science soon after he came to study in America. This was not suprising because he was already a computer geek in college. Now he is programming for a bio-tech lab, and soon he will be studying Bioinfomatics in Yale.

I had several Gmail invitations to give away so I asked him if he wanted it.

me: hi, do you want a gmail?
H: what's gmail?
me:#$@@&*^%$$#!!!

Next day, I emailed another friend, Z, asking if he wanted a gmail account. His reply:"If you say yes, sure I will say yes. But first tell me, what is gmail?"

I was shocked. Did they spend the last several months in a crater on Venus/an ice hole in Antarctica/Titanic under the ocean/a droll cave of Middle Earth/the dungeon of Hogwart's School of Witchcraft & Wizardry? I mean what's wrong with them?

...or me?

Did I pay too much attention to what was happening online?

So I compared our lives:

H bought a new car.
Z bought a new car a year ago.
I am driving a used car which breaks down once a month. Oh, remind me to bring it back to the garage because it's really loud now.

H bought a new house. He is moving in on Augest 2nd.
Z bought a new house (lake view!)several months ago.
I am living in an apertment (rented) sharing with a roommate.

H has a pretty girlfriend. I think they are going to get married soon.
Z married 2 years ago. A nice wife.
I..., well, I have my fruit flies.

It’s clear now: they are having a grown-up style life, aka REAL life. I am having a geek life, aka, FAKE life.

“Life style choices.” I shrugged, and sent out more gmail invitations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home