Monday, November 29, 2004

Priceless!

Our shaker was broken.

I turned it on yesterday and left it on overnight to grew my bacteria in it. After a night's growing the bacteria that multiplied should make the clear yellow culture media look clouded.

But when I took it out this morning, the media was still clear, indicating no growth. The reason, as I quickly found out, was that the shaker wasn't heated to 37 degrees celsius, the optimum temperature for my bacteria. Instead, it was only 27 degrees.

I tried to turn up the temperature, first a little, then a lot. Nothing. The heating module must be burned dead or something.

I told Mary, the lab technician, about it. She said:"Oh, it's broken again. Let me call that fix guy." She made the call, he wasn't there, so she left a message.

When the boss came in later, Mary said:"Our shaker is broken again. The temperature won't go up."

The boss said:"Really?" and turned to the shaker room. We followed.

The temperature was still around 27 degrees. He looked at the shaker for 30 seconds and pointed at a button:"This 'heat' button is off. That's why it's not heating." He pressed the button. The temperature began climbing, then stabilized at 37 degrees in less than a minute.

Geez! Why didn't I check it more carefully? How stupid!

I said to Mary:"You better call the guy not to come."

Boss said:"Yeah. I don't want to pay him $20 just to press a button."

Me:"Oh you have to pay him to fix it?"

Boss:"Yeah. To press a button, $20."

Me (laughing):"It's like that Mastercard commercial:'To press a button, $20. To know what's wrong, priceless.'"

Boss (laughing too):"Yeah."

What I didn't say was:"To know how stupid I am, priceless."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a good one! It reminds me of a joke my uncle told me. It was from his instructor at an Oracle certification class (in the hey days of the Silicon Valley):

Once a tech guy was called to fix a machine in the company because no one knew what to do. He arrived, looked around, and kicked the machine. It worked! The boss didn't want to pay the $100 fee. 'Why should I pay you when you just kick at the machine?' He demanded. Oh," the tech guy said, "It is not the kick that deserves the money, it's knowing where to kick!"

The instructor concluded: "this is why high tech workers make so much money! Now you guys get to work!"

11:22 PM  
Blogger Lei said...

Wish I were one of those high tech guys who earn big bucks by kicking those d*mn machines!

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home