Monday, June 13, 2005

I'm not talking!

Every other week at 11:45 am we have a "germline" meeting, where people from three "germline labs" gether together and listen to one person to present his or her work.

The order of the talks are usually scheduled this way: the three bosses go first, then the senior students, and the junior students go last. So my boss's talk was scheduled in early March, and mine was today. But my boss wanted to switch talks with me because: "you have more data than I do. Do you mind if I let you go first?"

Of course I didn't mind.

So today it was my boss's turn to present. At 11:45, when it was supposed to begin, only people from our lab were in the room.

Five minutes later, the mouse lab people came. But the worm lab people were still missing. So Bill, a mouse guy, took out his cell phone and called Shing, a worm guy:

"Hello, Shing, it's Bill."

"..."

"I'm doing pretty good."

(Everybody laughed.)

"..."

"Yeah. So are you guys coming to the meeting?"

"..."

"Oh, no," Bill looked at me and smiled strangely,"It's not Lei. It's his boss talking today."

(Everybody except me laughed. I managed to laugh about 4 seconds later.)

When they came they said:"Oh we completely lost track of time. We thought it began at noon."

Yeah, right.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is 11:45 noon? But Lei, you really need to look at yourself and look for what is wrong. Next time, try to use some jokes in your talk, or you can cite some sentense from those great guy, for example, me. This will rescue your talk.

Duckula

BTW: Did you see my last 2 comments?

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home