Monday, February 07, 2005

A Star Is Born

This morning my boss asked me:"Lei, are you gonna be around this afternoon?"

"Yes. What?"

"Dr. D is going to videotape the lab. They are making a film for undergraduate bio students or something. So I want people looking busy in the lab. You can save your work till then if you don't have much to do today."

"Haha, sure. I will be VERY busy then."

2pm, when I was dissecting flies, I heard some people walking into my boss's office. Since my eyes were looking into the dissecting scope, I didn't look up to see who they were, but I guess they must be Dr. D and his "film crew".

Then I heard my boss showing them around the lab while explaining what our lab was doing (genetics), what were in those bottles (flies), and why we used them(convenience, short life cycle, cute...)

"Ah, here you are."My boss's voice was next to me. I looked up and saw two undergraduate students standing beside me, holding a SONY HC20 camcorder.

"This is Lei. He is looking busy. Maybe you guys can film him dissecting some flies."My boss suggested. The two camera men said"Ok", attached the camcorder to a tripod and pointed it at me. So I went back to work while secretly straightening my back so that I wouldn't look humped in the camera.

After a while, one of the guys said:"OK." I relaxed my shoulders, turned to them and asked:"What's this for?" They said:"Dr. D wants to film the lab that are doing research and make a little video and put it on the department's website so that the new undergraduate students can know what lab is doing what and help them to decide which lab to go to if they are interested in science."

"Oh. I see. That's nice."

"Yeah. It's good for the students. Besides, as Dr. D would say,'You are gonna be a star.'"


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home