Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Mean Boss

We were out of fly food today.

If science is the spirit of a fly lab, then food is its flesh. Would there be spirit without flesh?

We needed food! Today!

We, the graduate students plus the boss, used to take turns to make food for the lab. And let's face it, it wasn't the most pleasent job in the life science world. But ever since my boss hired an undergraduate student to take charge of this business, our lives became much easier.

So I went to him:

"Will, we are out of food. Do you have time to make some today?"

"Oh, man,"he immediately complained,"it's 90 degrees outside, and you want me to stir the boiling food in that no air conditioning kitchen?"

That was true. It was so hot today that I had to go directly to the 4 degree cold room to cool down when I walked in from outside this morning.

Then I realized: "OMG, I must have sounded like a mean boss to him!"

But I was not a boss, and I was certainly not mean!

I ended up making food with him.

Oh, man, how we sweated!

The take-home lesson: Science could be mean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home