Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Black Bellied Dew Lover

The boss let me grade the first quiz of the Genetics Lab, of which I am the TA.

The last question was:"What is the scientific name of fruit fly strain you are using in your experiments?"

"They have to be exact right to get this credit," he told me when he gave me the answer sheet of the quiz,"EVERY LETTER."

Everytime he teaches this lab, he asks the same question. To know exactly how to spell the scientific name of fruit fly is a big deal to him. "Now look at this name,"he would say to the class on their first day, while pointing to the name written in big, bold, black letters on the PowerPoint slide,"and really memorize it. I will be offended if you don't know how to spell it."

That's their cue that this name will be on the quiz.

But still, few of them got it right. "Drosophilla melanogaster", "Drosophillia melanogaster", "Drosophila melanoganster", "Drosophila melangaster"...

All wrong. It is:"Drosophila melanogaster". "Drosophila" means "dew lover". Beautiful name. And "melanogaster" means"black bellied".

One of the students wrote:"Drosophila....I have dyslexia and I can't spell. :)"

Sorry, appreciate your sense of humor, but still 0 credit on this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home